11 Things You Should Know Before Dating a Cancer
If your bae was born between June 21 and July 22, they’re a Cancer, a water sign known for their amazingly ~nurturing~ nature. Here are 11 things that make dating a Cancer fun and fulfilling, no matter what sign you are.
1. They feel compelled to take care of people they love. Ruled by the moon, which is linked to emotion and maternal energy in astrology, Cancers are the natural-born “moms” of the zodiac. Their instinct is to make the people closest to their heart feel happy, comfortable, and cared for. But watch out: If they feel taken for granted, they can get cranky AF.
2. They know good food. Your Cancer may show you how much they appreciate you by whipping up some complicated, gorgeous dish they saw on Top Chef. Or maybe they are brilliant at finding restaurants and the perfect bottle of rosé to accompany the meal. Either way, praise the experience, and watch them swell with adorable pride.
3. Sex without strings is fine, but they’ll probably only stick around if there’s an emotional connection. Cancers are charmers and can be flirtatious as hell, so yeah, they can be total players. But once they’re committed in a relationship, they bring the romance into bed. Ultimately, sex has to be emotionally gratifying to keep a Cancer engaged.
4. They’re family-oriented. There’s a reason Cancer Khloé Kardashian clearly relates to the famous Godfather line, “Never go against the family.” The sign of the crab puts their nearest and dearest — especially their mom (see no. 1) — above just about everything else. (This includes their BFFs who they practically consider siblings.) They love being around kids and can definitely see themselves as a dad or mom, if they aren’t already!
5. Don’t expect them to be wishy-washy. OK, yeah, Cancer is a water sign, so this sounds kinda counterintuitive. But crab people also one of four cardinal zodiac signs, which means they’re ambitious and action-oriented. Once they know they want something, like to make a badass career move or to have you, in their bed, tonight, they’ll go for it in an intense, focused way. Hot.
6. They’ll catch you off-guard in a sexy way. Just when you thought you were in for a vanilla, between-the-sheets bang, they’ll pull out a couple’s vibrator or lead you into the shower. As long as they feel secure with you, they’ll feel confident switching things up in bed. Lucky you.
7. They can be all sorts of sentimental. Don’t be surprised if little things trigger big emotional reactions from a Cancer, whether it’s a particularly cute #TBT or an Ed Sheeran song that reminds them of the night you met. Depending on what you like, this can inspire “aww,” just as easily as “ew.” But beware: If they don’t feel like their partner is being particularly understanding, they may get a bit standoffish.
8. They take their home very seriously. The place Cancers likely feel comfiest is at their pad, so you’ll probably catch them cruising around on Houzz.com, making home décor Pinterest boards, and spending lazy weekend afternoons perusing at Bed, Bath & Beyond. And it’s more emotional than it sounds — they’re creating a cozy, secure nest for themselves and anyone else they adore.
9. They’re always striving to save money. Because they value security so much, they have a rep for being kinda thrifty. Like, they’re not going to be above scouting for a coupon code on their phone at the grocery store. So, once you get serious, try proposing you open a joint savings account, and watch them get majorly turned on.
10. They’re frickin’ hilarious. There’s a reason a lot of comedians (Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart, Sofia Vergara) are Cancers. They’re naturally funny and emotionally intelligent, so they’re pros at making light of the all-too-real aspects of every day life. Granted, they also tend to be a little offbeat and goofy at times, which makes them even more endearing.
11. You won’t be able to hide what’s in your heart. Cancers aren’t just in touch with their own feels; they’re also highly intuitive when it comes to other people’s emotions. If someone else is hurting, their instinct is to be sympathetic. So, if you don’t mind doing a lot of sharing, you’ll feel incredibly supported.